Tuesday, May 29, 2012

London's Journal: Jerome Bush

         
          Writing for me is not only enjoyable but therapeutic. This July a very special occasion is going to be taking place in my life and I began writing today as I thought and London's Journal is what I came up with. This is only a way to get some of my thoughts out on paper. There's bound to be misspellings and grammar issues. If you're a complete fusspot, just leave a comment and I'll get to it soon. It's not the purpose of it, but ok.
         
          There will be a weekly London's Journal entry. I am perdicting there to be four entries total.

          Any author interested in an author introduction or author update, as usual, please e-mail PaigeHurtado@gmail.com.
 
Disclaimer: All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

                 Enjoy!

JEROME BUSH

“Boo Bay.” Jerome called to me from behind me at work. I never did like that nickname. I slowed my tracks and turned around to flash him a seductive smile. He greeted me with a tight hug.
                “Why ain’t you call me back last night?” he asked.
                “I was so tired.” I lied. I could have thought of a thousand other things that I had rather do that night than talk to him on the phone. So, I ignored his calls. All eight of them.
                Jerome Bush had the pleasure of being my boyfriend for around nine months now. However, the end was coming; I had grown bored of him.
                “I’ll meet you at your car at the end of your shift.” He kissed me on the cheek and left me to join his friends.
                Jerome and I both had part time jobs at a restaurant. He bussed tables and I was a waitress. As I went to grab my pad and paper, I watched him with his friends, being unproductive.
                “You know he’s unfaithful, London.” Andrea Cota, my good friend and co-worker, said from behind me.
                “I’ve heard, Drea. You’ve mentioned this several times.” I said tying my apron around my waist. It was true; I did hear that Jerome was living a disloyal life. Initially it was shocking, but I no longer cared. It’s been nine months and I haven’t given him the green light to take us to the next level. That was the farthest thing from my mind.
                Courtney was a tall girl with light eyes and kenkles. She never looked happy and even though her job was a waitress, you could always find her in the back with all the bus boys. Rumor was that Jerome was getting his needs handled by her. More power to them.
                “Why do you stay with him then? Everyone knows how he is and it sheds no positive light on your character.” Andrea told me before walking away.
                I knew Andrea was right. It did make me look desperate. Why did I stay with Jerome? I was tired of him. I had him completely figured out as a person and didn’t like who he was. On top of that, he couldn’t stay faithful. To be honest, I wasn’t sure. I found comfort in staying with him somehow, but I knew soon I’d come to my senses and jet.

                After a long day at work, I walked out to my car to see Jerome standing there. His dark green uniform soiled from working and his eyes beet red from taking a marijuana break with the guys out back.
                “Seriously, you need to stop smoking at work. Mr. Sandy is having security cameras installed, you’ll be sorry.”
                “Whatever, boo bay. I ain’t afraid of Mr. Sandy.” Okay, he didn’t say he wasn’t afraid of Mr. Sandy, he chose to use much more vulgar language. Often.  When Jerome used foul language it was when he displayed his tough guy persona. It was one of the things that initially attracted me to him. I felt safe in his presence. In my eyes, he was fearless and boy was that sexy – at first. Little did I know, his hard-guy act would become one of the main things pushing me away. Walking around with a careless thought process was dangerous and it would take you no where in life. Particularly with the fact that Jerome was a few years older, I expected him to care about some things. I expected him to take some responsibility in his life.
                I looked into his large brown eyes and watched his long eye lashes. He was certainly handsome, I suppose that’s how he caught the gray eyes of Courtney. He leaned in for a kiss on my lips. I gave a quick kiss back and could taste the cigarettes on his breath. Another nasty habit he possessed.
                “You know the man across the street from my mom’s place?”
                “You know I don’t, Jerome.” I said placing my bag into my car on the passenger side and shutting the door behind me. Usually Jerome sat with me in the car for a little bit, but I couldn’t be bothered tonight.
                “I’m gonna buy his car from him. Leather seats, less than 100,000 miles. It’s nice boo bay. Soon I’ll be driving you around the city.”
                “Sounds good.” I lied for the mere fact that I knew he was lying. He was always lying. He was always going to buy a car. With a suspended license and no money, a car wasn’t going to do him much good. He was always going to register for school. Jerome was an excellent drawer but he had yet to stand on the property of any art school. He swore he never saw Courtney for a single minute outside of work. Lies. Lies. Lies.
                He always told me what he thought I wanted to hear, whether there was any ounce of truth to his statements or not. It was annoying but I was happy I figured it out. Therefore, I also began to play him at his own game. He was the man of empty truths and I had become the Mrs. It was displayed when he asked why I was acting cold, or why I haven’t returned his voicemails, his letters, or his I love you’s.
                “I really need to be getting home now.” I said. It was late in the evening. The summer’s air was thick and still very warm.  “Call me later.” I told him before hopping into my car and driving away.

                Andrea and I both attended a small private college full-time. We coordinated our work and school schedules so that we could spend a lot of time together. Our busy schedules hindered our ability for allotted free time; this was our way to socialize and hang out so to speak. She was my best friend and knew me and my personal life better than anyone. We inspired each other to do our best and be our best. It’s important to have someone in your life like that. I certainly knew I did not have that in Jerome. He had the possibility of dragging me backwards instead of walking with me forward. Just like the saying, you are the company you keep. Andrea was my best and only true representation.
                “Where’s Jerome?” Courtney had the nerve to ask me before my shift the next day at work.
                “I don’t know.” Which was the truth. Jerome never called me that night and he never showed up for work the following day. I wasn’t completely disappointed and looked forward to a shift at work with no distractions. I was tired of everyone looking in my direction whenever Courtney went into the back. I was tired of taking orders and Jerome coming to kiss me in front of my customers. Wherever Jerome was, three cheers to him staying there, and me being able to carry professionalism and dignity to this day at work.
                That evening, no calls from Jerome came through to my phone. Completely odd. I figured he was upset from my abrupt departure the night before and I’d give some time to cool off.
                An entire week flies by, no word from Jerome. He had not shown up for work or tried to contact me. I gave in and called his home and his mother merely said he was not there with no indication as to where he might be. She didn’t sound worried so I didn’t press the issue. I thought perhaps he just quit and when he was ready to call me, he would.
                Another week passes by, and I gave up on calling his mother’s home. Work gave up scheduling him and I no longer put much thought into our strained relationship. I found a new, better paying job and left the restaurant.
                A whole month later, Jerome contacted me to tell me he was in a car accident and his mother didn’t tell me his whereabouts because she thought I’d want to hear it from him. I was unsure if I believed his story but I pretended I did. It wasn’t a very good reason to not contact me for a month and you appear perfectly healed 30 days later. To be honest, I think he had to serve some time in jail. It wasn’t an unknown arena to him or other immediate members of his life. It only took me weeks later to send up a break-up text. Goes to show how much I really valued our relationship.
                Instead of regretting this relationship with this male, I was grateful for the experience. He was happy living his life with a care-free attitude. He was happy being stagnant in his tracks and had no interest in improving his life. He had no problem not having a car or living with his mom. There were no plans on changing that. This is who he was and I knew I was not going to change him. What I did know was that I had no interest in entertaining a relationship like that any further. Coming to this realization probably was a lifesaver.
                I don’t speak to Jerome Bush any longer, not that I really would care to, but I expect his mentality to be no different than it was back then. I don’t expect him to be in any different of a situation than he used to be in. However, I do thank him and other males I have encountered in my life just like him. I thank them all for being a learning lesson. A lesson well-learned.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment