Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's in a name?

Konnichiwa!

I firstly want to apologize on the delayed blog posts. Ever since 2012 started things have been on the fast track and free time has become more and more limited. I am, however, doing my best to keep up with my writing and getting things together for the beginning of the "Secrets of.." series debut. I thank you all for your patience.

The topic of this blog is What's in a name. One of my favorite parts of the writing process is coming up with names. This includes all the character names to the names of towns and the places in it. In much of the "Secrets of" series, names chosen have come from things that mean something to me. There are many references to names of family members, and favorites of mine. This includes but is not limited to: actors, flowers, and colors. I also have given subtle titles with names based upon the content of the story. All the names in the story aren't special to me, nor are all the names after things I love. For example, the town of Monthy which is introduced in "Secrets of Sable Ave" is a combination of people's names that I could do without.

As I begin posting excerpts, I will explain the story behind more names.

I wonder, authors and writers, what are some of the ways you determine the names of your characters, made-up towns, and establishments? Some people feel they have a muse, and the names simply (or not so simply) come to them. As do their characters. Others have other various methods. I'd love to hear them!

Feel free to comment below! :) and do not hesitate to contact me if you're interested in being featured for an author introduction. e-mail: PaigeHurtado@gmail.com
Arigatou!

--Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment