Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Importance of Friendship

The new year is coming quickly. It's upon us all; good-bye 2011, hello 2012! With new years comes resolutions. One of my resolutions, (off the lengthy, ignored list I make every year) one is making more time for friends. Being a single working mother leaves little time for friends. Once you get home from work, and the piles of laundry, mounds of dishes, homework, and the many other joys of motherhood have been tended to, who has time for friends? Really.
 
I am growing to know this is all a poor excuse. Who doesn't have time to send a friend a quick text to see how her week is going? Playing Words With Friends got in the way, right? It has the word 'friend' in it; I understand the confusion. However, who doesn't have time once every few weeks to catch a movie, or meet a friend at the local coffee shop? Money tight, schedule strict? Bring a friend over to chat while you fold your laundry and sip some store brand tea.
 
Friendship is extremely important. Your friends are usually the first person you look to when you find yourself in a jam, when you need a shoulder to lean on, or you need another soul to share a laugh with. They are the people we trust with our secrets and often make the unbearable seem bearable. Keep in mind, as humans we're social beings and it's not normal to spend every waking moment alone, or with your husband and children. They easily can get on your nerves. (You know they say too much of a good thing can be bad. They don't? Yes they do! Someone does..hmph) So treat yourself to a break, and spend time with someone else that you enjoy.
 
Moving forward, these are reasons why friends are important in our lives. If your "friends" don't embody these characteristics you have to reevaluate the person you've chosen to be in your life and be your friend. I am thankful for the great friends I've chosen to be in my life. And even though I hardly see them; I appreciate the friendship we have because it works for us. I am there when they need me most, as they are for me.
 
Overall, don't let life's hectic schedule push things that are important to you in the wayside. Make a note to spend more time with the ones you love!

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking that the biggest challenge in friendship now days is that we can keep track of so many people we don't have to choose a select few. Remember the days where you actually had to be home to receive a call from your friend (maybe you don't but I do) Now I can talk to about 100 friends in 1 hour on Facebook. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, also. I rarely hold a phone conversation anymore; it is crazy. I just want everyone to remember how important friendship truly is. If that means talking to a bunch of friends via Facebook to fill that social urge for the time being then great! I find too often that we undermine the value of friendship.

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete